Podcast for Wed 20 May [+ 27 May]
- God’s Lament Over Us (Sandy Willson, 59m, MP3) — speaking to “A room full of business guys.” This ranges over the whole book, but applies specifically well to 3-6. The last 20 mins here are absolutely brilliant.
- It takes 10-15 mins to read Amos 3-6. What are the most striking lines? (How about 3:2, 3:7, 3:12, 3:15, 4:1, 5:18-20!, 5:24, 6:1, 6:4-5.)
- What religious wrongs are condemned in Amos 3-6? (See esp. 4:4-5, where Bethel and Gilgal are prestigious centres of pilgrimage.) Does much of this apply to your experience of modern Australian Christianity?
- What social wrongs are condemned in Amos 3-6? (See esp. 5:10-15, but throughout.) Does much of this applies to your experience of modern Australian society?
- What do you think is the relation between judgement and disasters, both natural and man-made? — Is it different in ancient Israel to how we ought to think about it? (see 4:6-13, is Amos thinking about the covenant in Deut. 28-30?)